Friday, February 21, 2014

Blog Post #6 - PLNs What Are They?

Putting multiple minds together
Personal learning networks are the systems an individual uses to impart and attain knowledge. Children are learning how to use new technology as toddlers. My grandson is 4 year old and his android tablet is his favorite toy. He already knows how to down load a game from the Google Play Store without assistance.
Hard work ahead sign
Using new gadgets and online programs did not come quite as easy to me. My daughter Dragged me onto Facebook less than a year ago. Thanks to EDM 310 I am now on Twitter, You Tube, and Blogging!!! I am able to reach out to other educators for advice and encouragement. I also am able to learn various teaching techniques that I hope to use in my classroom one day. One of my favorite lessons has been observing how teachers are using blogs as assignments to students at the elementary level. That is just amazing to me.I too would love to be a part of helping young children leap into the future.
People working together to climb mountains
Personal learning networks are formed as an individual learns to reach beyond the restrictions of those they can contact physically. The virtual world allows each of us to take learning globally. The pearls of experience are at our fingertips. To create my own PLN I am using Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, Email, and Blogging. I look forward to working with Symbaloo. My personal learning network has already started to grow. My first additions will be my EDM 310 classmates.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Johnetta,

    I'm Mary Alice, a student in EDM510. We are learning about PLN's as well. I like the way you summarized it as, "PLN's are formed as an individual learns to reach bend the restrictions of those they can contact physically." That's a huge aspect of it. We have PLT's at school with our peer teachers and principals and counselors, etc. But, with technology, we are no longer restricted to those we can be with physically.

    Do you have any plans to have your students create their own PLN's?

    If you'd like to check out our EDM510 blog or my personal blog (It's pretty bare presently, but I'm brand new, so it'll start filling in soon, I'm sure!) please feel free. Here is a link to the EDM510 class blog, and, is my own personal blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that children are learning how to use new technology as toddlers. I think if children can be familiar with technology as young age, it will helps them study easier. I enjoyed reading your post and good luck with your career in the future.

    ReplyDelete