Sunday, March 2, 2014

Blog Post #7: What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning From Randy Pausch?

Happy Face holding an apple

I truly enjoyed the video by Randy Pausch. I learned the most about teaching and learning from watching his actions. Near the beginning of the video Mr. Pausch shares that he has terminal cancer and only has a few months left to live. After hearing such heart breaking news I spent the rest of the video awed by his courage.
Friends helping one another

During this video Randy Pausch made me think of Erik Erikson's stages of psychosocial development. I specifically thought of generativity vs. stagnation. According to Erikson this is the second stage of adulthood and occurs between the ages of 35-64. During this time people target actions that gives them a sense of purpose. I was truly encouraged more by the fact that Pausch was teaching a lecture with such joy despite his circumstances than I was with techniques to overcome brick walls. He chose to give back instead of spend the end of his life afraid.

1 comment:

  1. It was nice reading the connection you made between Pausch and Erikson's psychosocial human development. However, you did not satisfactorily answer the driving question of this assignment.

    Driving Question: "What can we learn about teaching and learning from Randy Pausch?"

    ReplyDelete